Sunday, December 9, 2012

First ever century

I achieved a bit of a milestone yesterday morning on completion of my 22.5 miler, I reached a total milage for the week of 100. Nice, it feels good! Only 5 weeks until the 2013 Houston Marathon and I have a 100, 104, 96 over the next 3 of those weeks. I'm hoping it will be enough to put me in a position to run sub 3 but I'm not sure. I know I'll get there I just can't help wish I'd been putting in these big miles for the last few months. 

Yesterdays 22.5 (I had to do the .5 as I couldn't possibly end the week with 99.5) was nice. I took the first 12 easy and pushed a little on the final 10 but not as much as I have in previous weeks. The big news of the day was taking half a gel and not suffering any nasty side effects! I wasn't brave enough to try a whole one on my first go but will on next weeks long run.

I love running these higher miles and can feel my running coming on leaps and bounds but will it be enough for Jan 13th..... It doesn't really matter, the important thing is I am thriving on the big miles and my body is handling it (although I do touch wood frequently as all those around me seem to be getting injured). My goals are long term and I will give it all I have come the day but it isn't the be all and end all. 

I have had my husband home for the last week so have been able to put in some early morning runs, this weekend being no exception. Up at 4am to run at 4:45 take it's toll 4 mornings out of the week, well it does for me. Add to that the procession of kids I've had down to my bed each night this week and the disrupted sleep that follows and I am one very tired lady. 

I was lucky that my husband didn't have to leave last night as we had previously thought but held off until 7am this morning thus giving me time to get my 15miles in. I almost turned back on the bridge today as I couldn't see past the end of my nose, picture pitch dark with a thick fog and running into....nothingness! It was a little unnerving but I soldiered on and didn't come across the boogeyman in the thick pea-souper, phew. I then waved hubby goodbye, jumped in the shower whilst shouting at the kids to get dressed and got down to Duessen Park to watch the Rungirl half as fast as we could. I love to watch races but it was hard to be there and not be competing although the way my legs felt on todays recovery run I wouldn't have been able to do anything special. Sunday recovery runs are always a bit of a slog, I just take it very easy and run off the previous days long run. 

H was running and blew the rest of the field away for another PR. I want to be just like her when I grow up ;) Doug was also there to cheer H on so it was nice to get a chat with him although it is kind of hard with the cherubs causing havoc. You know whats a good job for young kids at a race...picking up all the water cups! Kept my 5 year old busy for a little while at least.

Here's what my first ever century looked like:

Sunday        15miles easy
Monday       15 miles easy
Tuesday       12 miles 8-8:30
Wednesday 15 miles 8-8:30
Thursday     0.5 w/u, 7 miles @ 6:50 (was supposed to be 10 but was called back to the child care at Y as they 'can't control' my 2 year old :s)
Friday          13 8-8:30
Saturday      22.5, 1st 12.5 around 8:10, last 10 building to low                   7's   

This was the lowest quality week I've had in a long time. I normally have threshold miles (6:30 pace) on a Monday and speed work on a Thursday. This week sees me back to the usual routine, let's see how I cope with 2 quality days (3 if you count Saturday's 23 with the last 6 at 6:50 pace!) in a 100 mile week. 

This week is a killer with 8 threshold wrapped up in a 12 miler on Monday and the 'Gut Buster' on Thursday. Might not make it though to Saturday's long run and those marathon paced miles ;)

In 2 weeks time my schedule has me down for a long run of 24 miles and it happens to coincide with a local marathon so I asked permission and got the go ahead from Doug. It's just a training run so I will stick to the 8-8:30 pace set for it. I have a few friends running AND it's on trails AND its called 'The day after the end of the world marathon' COOL! I'm excited. Hubby will still be away (looks like he will be gone for Christmas, a first in the 14 years we've been together :( ) so I'll have to call in some babysitting or have my mum take the kids, ditto for this weekend.

A few photos just because.

 'Uncontrollable? Do I look uncontrollable to you?'





 Tree 1, there is a lot of nudity in this house ;)





Obsessed with my new toy! 





 This is my end of the day look, disheveled yet victorious.





Obsessed. raison and cinnamon loaf before






and after. 






rosemary loaf 





Tree 2, needs a few more lights and a bit more tinsel!

So I can say with 100% certainty my next marathon will not be a PR but the one after that had better be! 






11 comments:

  1. First of all, LOVE the pics. Your son is darling. :) Congrats on the century! This is my first 100 mile week and I love the high mileage too. I wish we lived closer and could train together some days. I would love to have someone to run with. Keep up the awesome work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He has NEVER been described as 'darling' before ;) I feel your pain on the lack of running buddies, for one reason or another 90 of those miles were solo it wasn't until the last 10 of my long run that I had some company! I don't mind normally but I felt it this week, the loneliness of the long distance runner indeed!!! Enjoy that century (just assumed you'd already done that many).

      Delete
  2. What a great looking crew you have! The son is charming :) and so is your helper :)

    Great idea for the kids at the race. I should have brought mine to help at the water station I manned yesterday.

    Congrats on a huge HUGE week! I can't believe it was all singles!?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. First 'darling' and now 'charming', both firsts for Harry ;) He is full on. I took him to a play place the other day and I think every adult commented on his energy and one woman told me that must be why I've 'kept my figure' :D I told her 'yes in a way, I run to escape the craziness for a while!' Didn't tell her that had taken 100 miles this week ;D

      Yes to singles, it just makes life easier who has time to shower twice a day?! I just can't do evening runs, I lose all energy at around 5pm so I need to get it done early.

      Delete
  3. Haven't hit 100 miles in years... But if we have a couple of days off between Christmass and New Year I might give it a go. Have alway wanted a 200km week, What's that about 124miles, but never got that high...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am in negotiations with Coach Doug for next years milage. I asked for 90-100 week in week out, I think I need it. He said 80-100, he agrees if I can handle it then big miles are the way to go. He said I can peak at 120, might have to squeeze another 4 out of him now I know that's 200km! I feel that for me at least it's going to be about maintaining a consistently high milage with lots of easy running. Just hope my body holds up, so far so good.

      Delete
  4. I have the same bread machine but my hubby (the one who uses it) makes only honey wheat bread with it.
    Awesome job on your running. Makes sense the quality was a bit lower this week bc of the increase in mileage. Still, the lower quality was good quality.
    Excited about your marathon!
    Oh, and I have a difficult to control boy at home too, ha!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have a husband who makes bread? Where did I go wrong, I can't get mine to make me a sandwich or even a cup of tea! I have made a different one every day since I've got it, I LOVE that machine. The best was tonights and it was honey wheat, we smothered it in butter and raspberry jam and ate half when we got back from middle cherubs School concert!
    I bet there is a correlation between how fast a mum can run and how wild her boys are ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Two trees?! So jealous :).

    I am now wishing I had asked for a bread machine for Xmas. You'll have to review yours for us and let us know how it works out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Get one! (bread machine) LOVE it. It's so easy and you can set it to be ready up to 12 hours ahead of time so load it up at night and then it will be ready for the morning. I've made at least one loaf a day since getting it, haven't bought any bread :) It takes around 10 mins to put ingredients in and cleaning it is very easy, just a lift out pan and little 'paddle' and done. You can make dough for anything, not just bread. Did I mention I love it?!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Way to go on the amazing week of running! You're awesome! You seem to have everything balanced, family, running, COOKING. That bread, the raisin cinnamon bread, looks amazing! Yummy! Good luck with these last couple weeks of training. You're going to kill this marathon!

    ReplyDelete