Thursday, November 22, 2012

Thankful that's behind me!

As much as my miles keep going up, so it would seem does the intensity of my track sessions. I am in the middle of a 90 mile week, the most I have ever run and today marked the latest tough track workout. It went like this:

2000m, 10 min active rec, 8x800 2-3 min rec, 5min rec then final 2000m. Total miles 10.

I hit the times I was set, mid range, thus:

7:40, 2:50, 2:51, 2:52, 2:51, 2:53, 2:52, 2:51, 2:52, 7:35.

I'm happy. It was tough but I completed it and on target, can't ask for any more right? I like a full recovery so the big rests between these helped lots. I was solo for this session (what's new) and despite thinking I'm pretty good at hitting paces it took me the 1st 2000 and next 800 to find my feet again on the track. This was my 1st track session in a while but once I found my groove it was game on! 

I find these big sessions to be such a balancing act between pushing whilst knowing there's still lots more work to come.I told myself on each rep that 'this is all there is, just hit the pace and worry about the others whilst running them'. I think today showed me that I do have the strength to get through a session like this so might be able to push each 800 a bit more in future? (big talk is easy after the fact!)

With every session I am becoming more and more astounded by my new found strength. It's not so long ago that all I could manage were 3 miles at 10 min mile pace, a session that had me bent over double at the end and feeling fairly sick. I know that nothing gets harder than that 1st run. In my opinion it just gets easier and easier until you reach where you want to be. To others it looks like you are so tough, how can you complete a session like that? But it's just chipping away bit by bit and it comes, it has to.....right?! There is no big secret, the only thing you need to be able to do is work hard. Boy am I beginning to work hard! 

Pat on the back for me, hey somebody's got to ;)

Not a very welcoming sight for me at 7:30 this morning but they need to try harder than that to keep me out :D

If you're offended by profanity LOOK AWAY NOW! Took this and sent it to Coach Doug once the job was done! My hands were frozen thus the magnificent writing :s

Have a good one!

6 comments:

  1. Way to be on a sweet track workout! Don't you love to see progress? I remember when 3 miles was killer too. Keep up the great work!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I am getting into some big miles for the first time and I am loving the difference it is making to my running. I feel it's almost like cheating, I can eat up 22 miles in a long run in a way that kind of amazes me (does that sound very vain, possibly but there it is!)

      Delete
  2. Man, those are some blazing fast 800s! I would like a little of your top end speed, please!! :)

    And the track...If I had one nearby, it would be hard to keep me out of it too. Great Job, lady!
    Hope you enjoyed some family today with the steak pie :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's weird, I feel like the little speed I did have has been destroyed by all the miles but somehow this session just happened? I think I have a very good coach :) I am LOVING the high milage, it is taking my running to a whole other level (I hope!) ;)

      Delete
  3. I can imagine if you have that speed with all the miles, YES...your coach is doing something right (and so are you :) ) !

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great workout... speedy 800's!

    ReplyDelete